The Clinical Takeaway: New Alcohol Guidelines… The Cancer Risk and Impact on the Brain is Real!
The Clinical Takeaway: New alcohol guidelines… the cancer risk and impact on the brain is real!
In this episode:
– Changes are based on evidence showing a tight relationship between alcohol consumption and cancers
– Increased recognition of the impact of alcohol on developing brains of unborn child and younger people
– Be aware of thiamine deficiency in those who drink above the recommended limit
– Assess all patients regularly for alcohol use, GPs should begin intervention because referral to D&A Clinics too early may be counter-productive.
Guest: Prof Kate Conigrave, Conjoint Professor, Addiction Medicine Head, Indigenous Health and Substance Use Addiction Medicine, Central Clinical School
Total time: 34 mins
Log your own CPD by following these easy steps:
• listen to 30 minutes of Healthed podcasts
• click on the Quick Log logo and follow the link to the RACGP website
• login to your myCPD dashboard
• click on the Quick Log function to log your points
• a 30 minute podcast earns 1 CPD point